blogging has gotten into my blood and I blog day and night. I have tried a few but in my mind, Blogger is the best!!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Patience is a great virtue

Ecclesiastes tells us that "to everythng there is a season". Chinese taoists speak of the "will of heaven" and being in harmony with it. Without becoming embroiled in a religious discussion, I take this to mean that everything in this expressed universe has its own natural order. Very often we become impatient with Nature and want to have things the way we want them and to have them yesterday. John Lennon spoke of "Instant Karma" as a way of saying that this world is gripped in the vicious jaws of Instant Gratification. Many have forgotten patience as a virtue.

Taking the time to smell the flowers gives one a calmer sense of oneself. One sees greater harmony in nature and how one relates to this great Divine Invention. This also holds true to the internet. Very often one hears of "white hat" and "black hat". Very quickly one associates the black hat to a kind of dirty tricks collection and white hat to denote normal techniques that conform to certain rules. As one might suspect, black hat techniques promise quick results, instant karma or instant gratification if you will, but one might also suspect that there might be undesirable side effects.

Having been a full-time netizen for about two months now, I have come across terms like being banned by the search engines or of being de-listed or de-indexed and it is a fate worse than death for Internet Marketers. I did not realize at first that these activities were directly related to techniques that exploit or take advantage of algorithms of search engines and therefore, tend to give unfair advantage to those who know and practice these techniques. The downside to using black hat tricks is that they force changes in the algorithm of search engines so their day in the sun would tend to be short-lived. The fact that they teach these techniques would suggest to me that the efficacy of these techniques are somehow not as undiluted as before especially with so many copying the same tricks.

The reason why I write about this is because today I was greeted with a little surprise. My sites have suddenly risen from a Pagerank of 0/10 to 2/10 which led me to think that patience after all is rewarded. Of course, I am not saying that with stagnant content patience will still be rewarded on the same scale as a site with fresh, relevant content. This rise in Pagerank has reinforced my enthusiasm to keep on updating my content. I must admit that I had flirted with the idea of giving up.
----0000----
For mental health, try meditation.